The newborn baby would spend most of their time to sleep. Similar to a robot that have been programmed, baby would have a nap from 2 to 3 hours between meals even day or night. So mother do not be too worried if you found that your baby sleeps all day and even not play much time.
In the first six months of life, the only thing that the concern of the mother is almost about the eating and sleeping of the baby, Depending on the choice of the parents that the sleep schedule of the baby is different. There are parents that do not give any schedule at all and just follow the lead of their babies. On the other hand, some have noticed that having a simple and flexible schedule would help to control the situation better. However, this is not the time to give your baby a rigid schedule, even the schedule looks like the best would not fit perfectly with your kid. The only suitable way is to train your baby slowly, together learn to give a best plan for both mother and baby.
Eat, play and sleep
With infants, mother should make time flexible for the baby to eat and sleep. Various health experts believe that, if appropriate, the mother should start doing the work according to a certain order : eating, playing and sleeping day by day.
A simple schedule began when your baby wakes up :
- Changing a diaper
- Take the time to talk and play with baby
- Let the baby go to bed again
In the evening, the mother should not take time to play with baby, but focus on putting the baby back to sleep after feeding and diaper changing the baby. For young kid, play time seems to be simply cuddling gestures of the mother. Your baby would feel tired and sleepy after about 10 to 20 minutes “play” as such. So you should pay attention to those expression of baby to know when to stop and let the baby go to sleep again ! Thus, mother could establish a flexible schedule as she desires. What is important, remember to following the same sequence everyday !
The baby should sleep for 8 to 10 hours at night depending on age.
A small note for the mother :
- Day sleeping: Some mothers want their babies to sleep much at night so that they keep the babies awake during the day. In fact, day sleeping is also very important with the baby and keeping baby awake all day do not help the baby sleep better at night effectively. However, the best way is not to let the baby sleep more than 4 hours at a time during the day.
- Feeding and sleeping: As usual, infants should be fed once each 2 to 4 hours. The baby would go to sleep better after being fed.
- Cuddling: If the baby does not spontaneously return the the sleep, mother should give the baby a little help. Just a little cuddle of the mother, baby would quickly fall asleep again. If the baby had just been fed within 2 hours previous, mother could try to breastfeed the baby a little more and coax the baby to sleep again then.